Monday, June 18, 2012

make the most in every opportunity

Good morning everyone!

Don't forget to thank God this morning for waking you up. This morning around 6AM I could not sleep, so I decided to click on my bible app, I love to read verse of the day. Colossians 4:5-6 "Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Wow...this verse kind of hits me in the face. Have you ever just sat and thought how great our God really is? He sent his son on this earth to be perfect, although Jesus had many temptations he still remained perfect! Including being so nice to everyone he met. I wish I could be full of grace all the time 24/7, because you never know what someone is going through. This story from El Salvador kind of fits in with what I'm getting at here. Roberto, who is part of the all boys orphanage, CISNA, came to the mission house one night to have dinner with us. It was his 18th birthday. When I first saw him, he looked just like a regular boy to me who was turning 18. Well, as Emily and I sat down outside to eat, she said "hey, lets go sit by Roberto." I was like alright that sounds good! So we headed our way to Roberto's table, he spoke Spanish of course, and we did not. Right before all of that I had downloaded a translator app on my phone. I had fun using it :) I tried to carry on a conversation with him but he told one of the translators I talked funny. After we all ate, Kurt, the missionary from there, brought out a huge birthday cake with a huge candle in it. Roberto's face was priceless. That was his first birthday cake, let alone birthday party he had ever had. 18 years old and never witnessed one birthday cake. What would we do if we didn't get all the celebrations for our birthday? He sat in front of the cake for about 10 minutes trying to think of a wish, but we told him he didn't have to say it out loud. Kurt gave him a gift and the rest of the cake to take back to CISNA with him. He was so excited! So let me explain what CISNA actually is-it is a all boys orphanage from ages 8-18. When you turn 18, you are kicked out on the streets with nothing again. They have about 3 houses with beds and showers, no air might I add. There were probably about 30 boys when we went. These boys get picked up off the street, come in from being in gangs, abandoned from their parents, or abused by family members. Roberto's case was him being abused at a young age from his cousins. Raped and hit for sure I know. Makes me sick. He doesn't have an education. He can count up to 200 and only say up to J in the alphabet. Kurt told us he likes to sweep, mop, and rake. So they are going to try to find a cleaning job for him. Our group had been working on a transition home that week for the boys who turn 18 to live in. It was a really nice home, 3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and one bathroom. So only 4 or 5 boys could even stay there but that is a big improvement! They are currently trying to find a "mentor" type person to stay with the boys and be a strong godly influence and just lead them to get their feet on them again. With God all things are possible! Please pray that they can find someone for that house. :) That kind of roles in with the verse of the day, you never know what someone is going through so be kind always!

"Nothing should keep you from reaching out to the world around you." You never know what your kind words can do to someone.

Have a blessed day!
-Brooke

No comments :

Post a Comment